Six Skin Care Tips | Expert Beauty & Skin Care
The dog days of summer are definitely over and for most of us in the Northern Hemisphere. We’ve come to the realization that it’s time to say goodbye to the shorts, sandals and flip-flops. It’s hello – scarfs, coats, hoodies and heaters.
As the season transitions from summer to autumn, the same goes for our skin care. Our physical bodies are literally recuperating from the elemental effects of summer. For instance, our skin is left damaged or burned due to the excessive heat from the hot summer months of sunbathing and visits to the water-parks. Add to that, the salt build-up or chlorine damage to our scalp and hair – from surfing the ocean waves or swimming in the backyard pool. The summer heat and our bodies have been one unified front.
Basically the steps we must now begin to put in our respective regimen may remain the same, but the products our skin, hair & nails needs, will have to change dramatically for the fall season.
But no worries. We’ve got you covered.
6 Expert Tips for Achieving Optimum Health.
- USE SUNSCREEN: Keep your sunscreen handy even after the long days of summer are over. A sunscreen with at least an SPF of 15 or more will protect the skin from aging ultraviolet rays in the fall.
A physical sunblock containing zinc or titanium oxide are ideal for everyday wear in the colder months.
2. EXFOLIATING CLEANSER: Fall is the time to start adding regular exfoliation to your skincare routine.
A gentle facial scrub can help remove sun damaged skin cells for brighter, smoother skin by retaining moisture.
3. RETINOL, also known as “Vitamin A”, can help dramatically reduce the appearance of brown spots caused by the summer sun, lines, and wrinkles.
A non-prescription retinol serum or a prescription retinoid is recommended, although retinol and prescription retinoids are scientifically proven to smooth the texture of the skin. Retinol is also known to delay skin aging.
4. USE NATURAL HAIR INGREDIENTS: Prevent further drying your hair by keeping your products all-natural. “Natural ingredients are the go-to because they won’t strip your hair of oils like synthetic and alcohol based ingredients do,”
Make sure to use a clarifying shampoo that washes away normal wear and tear from the environment like pollution and smoke, but does not strip your hair of its natural oils and lipids.
5. TAKE THE SUNSHINE VITAMIN: The coming of fall means shorter and cooler days. Most people are likely to spend less time in the sun. Especially for the northern part of the United States, supplementation of vitamin D becomes really important. Vitamin D is a gene-regulating super nutrient that helps with seasonal depression (SAD), the immune system, heart health, diabetes, and obesity. Vitamin D insufficiency affects almost 50% of the population worldwide.
Researchers recommend 2,500 IUs every day, especially in the colder months.
6. BOOST YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM: With the changing season, now is the perfect time to boost your immune system.
Some of natural immune-boosters are: to drink plenty of fresh water, eat plenty of alive (living) raw foods, garlic, lysine, probiotics, Vitamins B, C and D, E3 Live, reishi mushroom, zinc, propolis and Manuka honey.
Another powerful way to boost your immune system and keep strong is to use the power of exercise. Remember get that beauty sleep, too.
The key to a optimum healthy skin, hair and nails begins with having a great regime or routine. Inquire with us at Advanced Dermatology Associates or your personal dermatologist/skin care specialist for more tips on reaching your optimum health.